Legal matters and other formalities (before and after arrival)

When coming to Poland student should fulfil some requirements in order to make his/her stay legal and safe

As an exchange student, you must hold appropriate health insurance valid for the entire mobility period at SGH, and are obliged to present its proof upon arrival at SGH at the latest. You should also legalise your stay in Poland. Please, find below information on what to do in order to make your stay safe.

Before arrival

Insurance plan:

The student should get an extensive insurance plan when still in the home country and send it to the Incoming Officer before her/his mobility starts:

  • If you are an EU/EFTA citizen you must provide at least a copy of a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • Every exchange student: private health insurance plan (of student’s choice) covering at least out- and in-patient treatment, civil liability and repatriation for the whole mobility period at SGH.
  • Additionally: Student should hold a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • If a student is not an EHIC holder, she/he should apply for public health insurance (Polish National Health Fund - NFZ) – it is only possible after arriving in Poland (please check the “Upon arrival” section below)

Entry conditions:

  • Non-EU nationals: student applies for specific visa type (D-type most relevant)
  • If you are an EU/EEA citizen you may enter Poland with a valid passport/national ID. There are no other formal requirements for stays not exceeding 3 months. However, as your exchange semester at SGH lasts at least 4 months, once already in Poland, you are obliged to obtain a temporary residence permit at Mazovian Voivodeship Office

Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Upon arrival

Legalization of stay

  • EU/EEA/Swiss nationals are obliged to register their stay in Poland if it is longer than 90-day period. Registration is managed by the Mazovian Voivodeship Office in Warsaw (Marszałkowska 3/5 street, tel. no. +48 22 695 67 73)
  • Non-EU nationals with residence document issued by EU-member state other than Poland will have their stay registered (if longer than 90 days) after filling all required documents to Incoming Students Officer
  • Non-EU nationals reside in Poland based on visa type. No other onsite  registration required.

Obligatory public health insurance by NFZ (substitute for EHIC)


International Centre

Marta Sent-Pawłowska
Erasmus+ students (KA 131 – Program countries), CEMS MIM program ​students
room 6, build. A
ul. Rakowiecka 24
tel.: 22 564 98 43

Monika Komorek
Erasmus+ (KA 171 – Partner countries), overseas students, freemovers ​
room 6, build. A
ul. Rakowiecka 24
tel.: 22 564 98 43