In the case of obtaining an unsatisfactory grade or an unjustified absence the Dean settles a second – final date of exam.
Bachelor defences take place from Monday till Friday, 8:00 - 16:00. Final date is given 7 day before the defence via e-mail send to address in SGH domain - @sgh.waw.pl. Date of defence can be checked in schedule of defences.
From 1.06.2022 bachelor defences will be held on site in SGH Warsaw School of Economics, according to the Instruction of the Dean of Bachelor Studies on the defences of the diploma thesis of 5th of April 2022, except for those, who have completed the bachelor seminar and submitted the thesis no later than in winter semester 2021/22. In their cases the defences will be held online and the previous instruction is in force until end of October 2022.
- Instruction of the Dean of Bachelor Studies on the defences of the diploma thesis of 5th of April 2022
In reference to § 39.12 of Rules and Regulations in force from 1st of October 2021 I determine the rules for the organization of defences.
- From 1st of June 2022 the defences will be held on site on dates and in rooms designated by the Dean’s Office.
- Final deadline for submitting the bachelor thesis is the last day of second term of exam session in the semester, in which the bachelor seminar is realized (§38.6 of Rules and Regulations).
- A prerequisite for the student’s participation in defences in July is submitting the bachelor thesis until 31st of May. If the deadline falls on a weekend of public holiday the thesis should be submitted no late than on the next working day after the deadline.
- The date of submitting the thesis shall be the date on which the supervisor will upload the positive review in APD system.
Instruction is in force from 1st of June 2022 and is valid until further notice. The instruction from 26th of July 2021 therefore lapses, except for those who have completed the bachelor seminar and submitted the bachelor thesis no later than the winter semester 2021/22. In their case, the previous instruction is in force until the end of October 2022.
Online defences - for student who have taken the seminar and submitted the thesis in the winter semester 2021/2022 the latest
Instruction of the Dean of Bachelor Studies on the on-line defences of the diplome thesis of 26th of July 2021 - is in force until 31st of May 2022, except for those, who have completed the bachelor semina and submitted the thesis no later than in winter semester 2021/22. In their cases the instruction is in force until the end of October 2022.
- Instruction of the Dean of Bachelor Studies on the on-line defences of the diplome thesis of 26th of July 2021
With reference to §39.12 of Rules and Regulations effective from 1st of October 2021 I introduce the following rules concerning online defences:
§1. Due to impossibility of organising defences in a stationary form, defences will be carried out remotely until mobility restrictions are lifted. The course of the defence process is defined in this instruction.
§2. The process related to the preparation for the defence takes the following steps:
1) The submission of the thesis is done by uploading it by the student to APD system and sending it for anti-plagiarism verification by the supervisor.
ATTENTION: scan of signed statement of author of bachelor thesis should be uploaded in separate file (in PDF form).
2) After receiving the report from the anti-plagiarism test, the supervisor fills the review paper in APD system. After the review has been prepared, the supervisor sends an e-mail from the SGH account to firstname.lastname@example.org which says “I accept as bachelor thesis” and indicating the proposed reviewer. In the e-mail title should be „supervisor XXXXX”, where XXXXX is the student’s number.
3) If the Rules and Regulations or Dean’s Instruction specify the latest deadline of submitting the thesis, it is deemed to have been met if the supervisor accepts the review in APD system before the deadline.
4) Within 7 days the latest from the moment the thesis is uploaded to the APD system, the student shall send an e-mail from the SGH e-mail address to email@example.com entitled “student XXXXX”, where XXXXX is the student’s number, giving the current telephone number, which is obliged to answer especially during the defence date, in case of technical problems on the part of the university. The attachment to this e-mail are:
- personal questionnaire, which can be downloaded from the website: personal questionnaire
- confirmation of payment for the diploma, paid by bank transfer to the individual account number from VDO,
- in case of extracurricular achievements, about which information is included in the diploma supplement – additionally filled annex available on the website statement of the student’s additional activity and confirmation of particular achievements in the form of e-mails send by appropriate SGH units or scans of documents. The total volume of the attachments shall not exceed 20 Mb.
5) The Dean’s office notifies the reviewer appointed by the Dean of a thesis waiting for the review. The reviewer fill the form in the APD system withing 15 days from the day of receiving the information.
6) After receiving the complete documentation and verifying the student’s completion of studies, the Dean’s office informs the supervisor, reviewer and student about the planned date of defence, no later than 7 days before its date by e-mail to the SGH e-mail address.
§3. The process related to the course of defence takes the following steps:
1) The supervisor, reviewer and student are obliged to have at their disposal for the duration of the defence equipment equipped with a camera and a microphone with MS Teams software installed and a link enabling video transmission with sufficient quality of data transmission. In case of lack of appropriate equipment or a ling, the supervisor and reviewer are required to inform the Dean’s employee at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible after the student has submitted the thesis, and at the latest – immediately in response to an e-mail containing information about the confirmed date of defence. In such a situation the university will make efforts to allow the supervisor and the reviewer access to the relevant infrastructure.
2) In special cases, the reviewer can be replaced in defence by another authorised SGH didactics employee with required powers. In such a situation, the Dean’s office should be informed of the fact (be e-mail to: email@example.com), one day before the date of defence the latest, and the further points of the procedure concerning the reviewer are applicable to the person who is the substitute
reviewer. The above procedure of assigning a substitute for the defence does not apply to the thesis supervisor - the supervisor’s absence must result in postponing the date of the defence.
3) The supervisor, reviewer and student participating in the defence shall have opportunity to verify the quality of their connection before the defence. In order to do so, please contact an employee of the Dean’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest 5 working days before the scheduled date of defence, providing a contact number in the e-mail, in the title of e-mail writing “technical issue”.
5) On the day of the defence, starting from 10 minutes before the planned time of the defence, the supervisor, reviewer and student are obliged to be available at the device with MS Teams application running and to wait for the call of the head of the board (via MS Team)
6) To start the defence, the head of the board enters a given channel, starts a video call and joins the meeting of the supervisor and reviewer, according to the Dean’s instruction to the Head of the examination board for conducting the online bachelor examinations.
7) The supervisor and reviewer shall give to the head of the board the examination questions, which the head of the board shall write in the protocol, which will be available in APD system.
8) At the request of the head of the board, a student shall joint the meeting by video. The head of the board shall provide the student with the examination questions. The rest of the defence is carried out in the same way as in the traditional defence.
9) The head of the board may require that the camera be positioned in the room where the student is staying in such a way as to ensure that the student does not use outside assistance. The student is required to ensure that a sufficiently large part of the room can be captured from the camera’s perspective in order to be able to verify the independence of answering the Board’s questions.
10) After the answer is given, the head of the board shall inform the student that the Board shall move to the classified part, and the student shall be called again after the end of classified part. The head of the board then disconnects the student or asks the student to leave the meeting.
11) The Board shall establish grades of the answers to the individual questions. The head of the board should put the grades to the protocol, ends the exam in APD system and puts the final grade, confirms the protocol and signs it electronically. After signing the protocol by the head of the board, the function of electronic signature will be available for the other members of the Board. The supervisor and the reviewer sign the protocol in APD system. By this the protocol is confirm by all members of the Board. To fulfil all formalities, in nearest possible term, the paper version of the protocol should be signed in the Dean’s office.
12) The head of the board shall invite the student to re-join the meeting, inform him/her of the outcome of the defence, after which the meeting shall be finished.
13) In the event of a broken connection with a student in the course of his or her defence, the head of the board shall attempt to re-establish the connection, with a maximum of three attempts. The head of the board may, in the case of persistent loss of connection with the student, consider that the defence must be re-established at another time. In such a situation, if the student has been able to answer some of the questions in the previous defence, or has clearly been unable to do so, the head of the board may consider that the defence constitutes the resumption of the defence previously interrupted of which the student shall be informed by e-mail from the head of the board immediately after the interruption of the defence resulting in a decision to postpone it. The resumption of the defence means setting new questions only to those examination questions to which the student has not answered due to a break in the connection.
§4. The diploma and the supplement are prepared in the usual way, with the reception of the diploma only being possible after the abolition of mobility restrictions related to epidemic. At the student’s request, the diploma may be send by post. In special cases, the student has the right to request a certificate of defence and its outcome. Applications in this case may be sent by e-mail to email@example.com not earlier than 7 working days after the completed defence, from the SGH e-mail address, to which a scanned version of the certificate is sent after its preparation .
§5. The instruction comes into force on 1st of October 2021 and is valid until further notice. Thus, the instruction from 25th of June 2021 is no longer in effect.
Basis of calculation of the final result of studies and the grade on the diploma is a sum of:
- 0,6 of the average calculated from grades obtained during the course of the entire studies, calculated on the basis of formula described in the Rules of Studies, except for the grade obtained for a degree seminar,
- 0,3 of the arithmetical average of the supervisor’s and reviewer’s grade,
- 0,1 of the arithmetical average of positive grades received for the examination.
The diploma of graduation of bachelor studies includes a written final result of studies in accordance with the rule:
- up to 3,30 – satisfactory,
- above 3,30 to 3,75 – satisfactory plus,
- above 3,75 to 4,20 – good,
- above 4,20 to 4,60 – good plus,
- above 4,60 – very good.
A graduate may obtain a degree with honors if the following conditions are fulfilled:
- studies have been concluded within the planned time limit,
- arithmetical average of grades obtained within the entire course of studies exceeds 4,70,
- the degree thesis was given the grade 5,0,
- the degree examination was passed with the grade of 5,0,
- the graduate during the course of studies didn’t violate the principles
Granting a degree with honors is ruled by the Rector at the requested application from the examination board, which participates in the degree examination.
Undergraduate Studies Office
al. Niepodległości 162
phone: +48 22 564 98 55