This double degree program is available to full-time master students of SGH and MSM within the following study programs at SGH:
- Finanse i Rachunkowość (Finance and Accounting) [in Polish; please note: Finance and Accounting ACCA degree is not a major included in the program]
- Zarządzanie (Management) [in Polish]
as well as – at MSM:
- Accounting and Finance
- Management and Economics.
- University of Duisburg-Essen
Creative inspiration between the Rhine and Ruhr: the University of Duisburg-Essen is located in the European region with the highest density of institutions of higher learning. Created in 2003 by the merger of the universities of Duisburg and Essen, it is the youngest university in North Rhine-Westphalia and one of the ten largest universities in Germany.
The Mercator School of Management (MSM) refers to the faculty of business administration of the University of Duisburg-Essen in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The MSM is a classic business school located in Duisburg. It involves twelve chairs of different business administration disciplines. Each of the three pillars of the MSM combines four of those chairs in a research department.
- Program structure
- The intended period of study for the double degree program shall be two years (4 semesters).
- Double degree students will spend their first year at MSM the second year at SGH.
- Full information should be provided to the host institution on the courses that the participants have taken at their home institution and vice versa. The grades of the different grading systems will be converted according to the table displayed in Annex I.
- In case of failure in an exam at MSM, an (oral) exam re-take will be decided on a case-by-case basis in the same semester. If applicable, the exam may also be re-taken at SGH in close coordination with the respective professor or department at MSM. In any case, a second chance will be offered in the subsequent semester.
- Double degree students shall have access to courses and enjoy the same rights and privileges and – with the exception of the course requirements specific to the double degree program that are detailed in this agreement – be subject to the same rules and regulations as the regular graduate students in the corresponding Masters study track of the host institution.
- In addition, Students admitted for the double degree program shall complete the modules offered at SGH and MSM following a scheme laid out in Annexes 2-5.
- Study plan
- Master thesis
- In addition to the mandatory coursework at both institutions, as set forth in the agreement, the double degree student is required to write a Master’s Thesis. The Master’s Thesis is worth 20 ECTS at SGH. The Master’s Thesis – combined with a colloquium – is worth 30 ECTS at MSM. The partner institutions assure the legal and organisational pre-conditions required for enabling the double degree students to start with the Master’s Thesis in their second study year.
- The Master’s Thesis shall be supervised by one supervisor and marked (graded) by a reviewer. The double degree students shall choose one supervisor from either institution, the reviewer will be selected from the partner institution respectively. The language of the Master Thesis is English or German.
- Part of the completion of the Master’s Thesis is a defence of the thesis (at the MSM called: Research Colloquium). Members of the host institution are invited to attend the defence. In preparation of the defence the double degree student has to write a thesis summary in English. The defence will be conducted in English or in German.
- The management process of the preparation of the Master’s Thesis should meet all the legal and academic constraints of the institution at which a student writes and defends the Masters Thesis.
- CONDITIONS FOR OBTAINING THE DOUBLE DEGREE
- The double degree shall only be awarded after the student has completed the program by fulfilling the following requirements:
- DD students from MSM and SGH:
- 1st year at MSM: the award of at least 60 ECTS credit points equivalent to the regulations constituted in this agreement,
- 2nd year at SGH: the award of at least 42 ECTS for the courses in the Finance and Accounting field of study or Management field of study, equivalent to the regulations constituted in this agreement and completion of Master Thesis and Colloquium (20 ECTS) at MSM or Master Thesis at SGH (20 ECTS).
- The double degree student shall be awarded both the academic degree: of the home institution and the corresponding academic degree of the host institution. Upon completion of the double degree program requirements, the student shall receive:
- two diploma certificates,
- two grade transcripts and,
- two diploma supplements.
- Each institution shall issue only the certificate and corresponding transcripts of grades for the degree it is accountable for. The diploma supplement shall provide detailed information on the nature, regulations, grades and credit transfer mechanisms of the double degree program.
- Admission criteria
- Candidates for the double degree program are to be selected by their home institution according to the selection criteria jointly defined and agreed upon by SGH and MSM.
- Due to the higher workload compared to the ordinary Masters’ study tracks at the partner institutions, only highly qualified students shall be selected for the double degree program.
- Each institution has the right to admit up to 5 students per year to the double degree program (balanced every three years) unless this number is varied by a mutual and written attachment to this agreement.
- The double degree candidates must satisfy all admission requirements of the host institution, including language proficiency requirements and good knowledge on Bachelor level of Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Statistics.
- All double degree candidates must provide evidence of a satisfactory level of language proficiency according to the requirements of the Common European Framework (CEF):
- students from SGH as their home institution – English B2 (or higher) and German minimum B2 (or higher; requirement from 2018/2019),
- students from MSM as their home institution – English B2 (or higher).
- Each institution reserves the right to require double degree candidates to complete the standard enrolment documents and to provide the results of any required entrance examinations.
- The host institution has the right to not accept a double degree candidate from the home institution for academic rationales or any other substantial reasons.
- According to the Rules and Regulations of selection for international programs and exchanges at SGH, all students accepted for double diploma programs are not allowed to apply for any other exchange or program that involves mobility abroad in the given academic year. It especially refers to Erasmus, PIM and bilateral exchanges and international programs like CEMS MIM.
- Selection – 2022
DEADLINE FOR DELIVERING APPLICATIONS – 20 May 2022
Documents required from the SGH candidates to double degree program include (all documents should be prepared in English):
- A motivation letter addressed to Selection Commission to double degree program between University of Duisburg-Essen and Warsaw School of Economics (in English, max. 1 page)
- Official course transcript (issued by the Dean’s Office, EN version) with grades received incl. the courses not yet finished
- Document certifying fluency in English (information on certificates recognised during the selection)
- Copy of the BA diploma (if possible)
- First draft of the study program (preferred field of study/study path, list of academic interests, electives etc.) in Word format [printout]
Application documents should be delivered to Agnieszka Kühnl-Kinel PhD by e-mail or sent by post to:
Agnieszka Kühnl-Kinel PhD
Centrum Współpracy Międzynarodowej
Szkoła Główna Handlowa w Warszawie
Al. Niepodległości 162
Contacts at SGH Warsaw School of Economics:
- Academic contact: Prof. Andreas Bielig, email: email@example.com
- Program manager: Agnieszka Kühnl-Kinel PhD, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contacts at University of Duisburg-Essen , Mercator School of Management:
- Mr Stefan de Dios Panal; email: email@example.com