This double degree program is available to full-time master students of SGH and UPORTO within:
- Zarządzanie (Management) at SGH and
- Management at FEP.
- University of Porto
Founded in 1911, the University of Porto (U.Porto) is a benchmark institution for Higher Education and Scientific Research in Portugal and one of the top 200 European Universities according to the most relevant international ranking systems.
The U.Porto combines high quality education focused on individual vocations and talents as well as market needs with the claim to being the greatest birthplace of science in Portugal. It is committed to converting into social assets the talent and innovation from its 14 faculties, one business school and over 50 research centres. The U.Porto has the richest academic community in Portugal and brings together the country’s highest ranked students, a highly qualified scientific and teaching staff and a growing number of international students, teachers and researchers. Its fully equipped campus embedded within the city guarantees an optimal academic, scientific, and also social and cultural experience.
- Program structure
- The standard period of study is two years (four semesters).
- The language of instruction is English at SGH and UPORTO.
- The recruitment of students for the programme, in each institution, is the responsibility of the home institution. Candidates joining the programme will be registered as full-time students in both institutions during the duration of the programme.
- At SGH the academic calendar is divided into two semesters of fifteen weeks each, beginning in October and ending in June. Both FEP and SGH students are required to start their studies (first year) at SGH in October.
- At FEP the academic calendar is broken into two semesters of fourteen weeks each, beginning in September and ending in June. Both FEP and SGH students are required to continue their studies (second year) at UPORTO in September of the following year.
- Each year during the life of this agreement, the institutions may generally send to the other institution up to five (5) new students.
- Study plan
- Master thesis
- In addition to the mandatory coursework at both institutions, as set forth in the agreement, the double degree student is required to write a Master Thesis.
- The Master Thesis is worth 20 ECTS at SGH. The Work Project at FEP – is worth 30 ECTS. The partner institutions assure the legal and organisational pre-conditions required for enabling the double degree students to start with the Master Thesis in their second study year.
- The Master Thesis shall be supervised by one supervisor and marked (graded) by a reviewer. The double degree students shall choose one supervisor from either institution, the reviewer will be selected from the partner institution respectively. The language of the Master Thesis is English.
- Part of the completion of the Master’s Thesis is a defence of the thesis. Members of the host institution are invited to attend the defence. The defence will be conducted in English.
- The management process of the preparation of the Master’s Thesis should meet all the legal and academic constraints of the institution at which a student writes and defends the Master’s Thesis.
- Admission criteria
- UPORTO students must apply to this programme after being selected to the Master in Management at FEP, usually in May every year, to start their programme in October.
- SGH students must apply to this programme after being selected to the master in Management at SGH, usually in June every year, to start their programme in October.
- Each institution will forward to the partner institution its most qualified applicants each year. Each institution will have the final authority to determine which students from the partner institution will be allowed to undertake a course of study, provided that neither institution shall determine qualified applicants on the basis of any non-educational criteria, including but not limited to race, creed, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or religion.
- Each institution will select its students in accordance with its own criteria and procedures but subject to the following guidelines:
- Students selected for the programme must be Master level students admitted on a full-time basis within the eligible programmes outlined in 2.1.
- Students must meet the language requirements set by the host institution:
- Students seeking admission to SGH must show proof of English proficiency on at least B2 level according to “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages”
- Students seeking admission to UPORTO must provide a certificate confirming proficiency in the English language – at least B2 level according to “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages”.
- Selection and Application
DEADLINE FOR DELIVERING APPLICATIONS – 16 September 2022
Documents required from the SGH candidates to double degree program include (all documents should be prepared in English):
- Motivation letter addressed to Selection Commission to double degree program between University of Porto and SGH Warsaw School of Economics (in English, max. 1 page)
- Copy of the BA diploma
- Official course transcript or diploma supplement with grades received (in English)
- Document certifying fluency in English
- First draft of the study program (preferred field of study/study path, list of academic interests, etc.)
Application documents should be delivered to Agnieszka Kühnl-Kinel, PhD, by e-mail or sent by post to:
Agnieszka Kühnl-Kinel, PhD
Centrum Współpracy Międzynarodowej
Szkoła Główna Handlowa w Warszawie
Al. Niepodległości 162
Contacts at SGH Warsaw School of Economics: